3of 3
  • 22 messages
  • January 01, 2014 14:40
added
prices
January 01, 2014 14:40

Is there a staging area for British postal agencies in the Gulf States?

From 1884 there were British postal agencies in the Gulf States. British stamps with overprint have been issued for this. The stamps were valid in various areas (Muscat, Qatar, Abu Dabi and Dubai) furthermore they were valid in Kuwait and Bahrain, but they also had their own issues.

Different catalogs use different area indications, but those votes rarely correspond to the areas where the stamps have been issued. For that reason, they are now included in a separate collection area in the UK "British Postal Agencies in Eastern Arabia."

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • January 02, 2014 08:15
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Currently these British postal agencies are still included under Oman (capital: Musquat), but I also think that they should form their own "group": British postal agencies / offices abroad. You can then make a subdivision, for example Morocco, Crete, East Arabia, in the same way as, for example, was done with Malaysia for the individual states.

Show original message
  • 22 messages
  • January 02, 2014 11:49
added
prices
January 02, 2014 11:49

That seems like a very good idea.

Incidentally, there is already an area "Morocco (British Post Offices)." There is also an area of Tangier with a number of stamps with overprint "Tangier." Until 1927 stamps with overprint "Morocco Agencies" were in use in Tangier. From 1927, the policy was to provide only the lower postage values with the overprint "Tangier." Only later did this also happen with the higher values.

Furthermore, I notice that the collection area "British occupation of former Italian Colonies" mentions a date that only refers to the time of the British military administration. Stamps with overprint "B.M.A." however, after that date replaced by "B.A." However, that did not end the occupation.

Perhaps it would also be a nice idea if there was ever a field for a reference to the stamp without overprint. Now, I think that can only be added in the comments.

Show original message
3of 3