18of 18
  • 16 messages
  • December 02, 2013 23:47
December 02, 2013 23:47

Hello,

I have a question about the value of stamps.

As an example I would like to mention the following:

http://www.catawiki.nl/catalogus/postzegels/landen-gebied/derman-rijk/ 2946549-new-kingdom-eagle

This stamp has a catalog value of MNH 7000 euro, canceled 5000 euro. How is it possible that this stamped is offered for "only" 10 euros?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Gr. Ted

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 16 messages
  • December 05, 2013 21:02
December 05, 2013 21:02

* kick *

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 84 messages
  • December 06, 2013 16:46
added
prices
reviews

The mentioned stamp is a watermark variety, which is quite difficult to judge. With this stamp, my advice is to only purchase it approved. The stamps offered have probably not been approved (otherwise they would have been sold long ago).

Show original message
  • 332 messages
  • December 06, 2013 19:13

How difficult ???

Standing waffles are the normal, lying waffles the expensive !!! It's a matter of determining the paper direction! Egg !!!

Greetings, Rein

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • December 07, 2013 09:04
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I also miss the rocket science in this

Show original message
  • 332 messages
  • December 07, 2013 09:48

Florian,

why higher math???

Didn't you learn the difference between landscape and portrait watermark in the philately lessons at school in the Netherlands???

Well, I knew that philately scored very poorly on the PISA scale and that the Netherlands lagged far behind Hong Kong, Singapore and even Finland.

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • December 07, 2013 10:36
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Rein,

philatelic, the Netherlands has quantity and no quality :)

Show original message
  • 332 messages
  • December 07, 2013 10:55

Florian,

Swearing is allowed in church, but not in CWPZ!

The Cream of the Crime is here ... Or was that Botter bij de Vies ???

Show original message
  • 383 messages
  • December 07, 2013 11:08
added
prices
reviews

Briefmarke's answer was no more than sufficient.

Show original message
  • 332 messages
  • December 07, 2013 15:20

Rob,

Apparently you don't see much further than the open door of Briefmarke ...

A "watermark variety" does not exist or it must be a missing letter "C" or something like that .... A "circle" that is missing, for example!

The position of the watermark has nothing to do with varieties but is an independent variant of a stamp for which CWPZ must enter its own main number clearing up ...

But then the story of Sinbad continues ...

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,412 messages
  • December 07, 2013 18:36
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It is also very difficult for administrators to control, because I think you cannot put the watermark on a photo or scan that quickly or easily. The difference between upright and lying down is clear to everyone, but it cannot be seen on CataWiki. Unless of course specially photographed !? ;)

Show original message
  • 332 messages
  • December 07, 2013 22:42

Is it easier for an administrator to check a perforation? Nedelrand 1923 Jubilee 35c Line toothing 11x11 ???

Photos are of course always necessary !! Can't that be mandatory for so-called varieties | ???

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • December 08, 2013 07:51
added
prices
info pages
reviews

As a (starting) administrator, I myself take the following position: with regard to watermarking / perforation, you must be able to trust that the importer has (had) the relevant stamp in his hands and has established these matters himself. In my opinion, that is also the starting point of Catawiki.

However, there are always people who, for all kinds of reasons, can disrupt the business. Aside from "pranksters" who import objects of high value "for fun", to be interesting, to get noticed, and all that kind of nonsense, you also have people who are "too lazy". They often state in their input: watermark or perforation variant, various watermarks, various perforations.

You also come across stamps that are not present in a collection, and are not (anymore) for sale. Sellers who import, as well as ignorant ones, often enter data from the first stamp that they encounter, image-wise, in their printed catalog. Whether the correct details of their stamp can not or hardly be checked without having the original in hand.

In cases like this, where I have doubts , I always choose the most likely variant (read: the lowest priced). I only make an exception if essential differences are clearly indicated by the importer (perforation, watermark).

In Rein's example, alarm bells would immediately ring for me. It is often a matter of knowing your collection area well and being aware of developments. How many copies of that stamp are known now, Rein?

Show original message
  • 383 messages
  • December 08, 2013 08:26
added
prices
reviews

I think there should be some serious talk with Dick.

Rob Amse, ex-manager.

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • December 08, 2013 09:36
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Well, you do that then, via Personal Message. Comments like this do not add anything to the topic ..........

Show original message
  • 16 messages
  • December 09, 2013 20:39
December 09, 2013 20:39

My question was about the example I mentioned, namely the stamp with the horizontal waffles as a watermark ... so not the standing one ... I never mentioned that in my question, but yes, a good question reading is also an art for some!

Anyway, my example of the stamp with the LANDING waffle mark, is stamped for 5000, but offered for 10 euros, according to @Briefmarke, because the stamp is not has been approved on, I assume, authenticity?

@Briefmarke, thanks for your answer, if that's what you mean.

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • December 09, 2013 22:00
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Fill-Cart,

No is not true what you think / claim landscape watermark is much more expensive than standing watermark separate whether it is approved or not, has nothing to do with it, approval is about the Quality or the authenticity of a seal and standing or horizontal watermark can be seen by each dodo itself, you do not even need special equipment for this, a bright lamp and black sheet is sufficient, why the relevant stamps offered are so '' cheap '' have

1) The quality is jerk

2) The seller does not understand the watermark story and has put up for sale a random similar stamp underneath

3) The stamp can be '' super expensive '' if you have it yourself '' by accident '' 248 you want to get rid of it, I myself had for example whole sheet parts of Viet-cong stamps in such large quantities that although they had a '' catalog value '' of 75 euro, I sold them for 1 euro for 15 years only to lose some of it. I could finally have sold 7500 euros in 15 years (a bit here, a bit there) for 100.

In short, the moral of the story had a stamp inspected very expensive just for a watermark. pig and is unnecessarily throwing money down the drain without the costs even going for the benefits, or a waste of your money.

By the way, every judge wants to do it for you, he has never had his money so easily deserves

Show original message
  • 933 messages
  • December 10, 2013 06:40
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Dear Ted (Vul-Kar),

As Sinbad describes it, it is possible. There are watermark locators on the market that work on that principle.

I myself do it the old-fashioned way. Small black boxes (approx. 3 x 5 cm) are for sale in the stamp trade. In it I put the seal, face down. Then in many cases (also with the stamp you mentioned) you will immediately see the watermark. Optionally, you can use (a few drops) of pure benzene to moisten the seal for a while. Then the watermark usually becomes clearly visible. The benzene can then evaporate again (goes very quickly, it is quite volatile). Be careful with special types of paper. They sometimes make it difficult to determine the watermark in this way.

And if I have convinced myself that everything is correct, Sinbad's story applies again. And you can count on the fact that sellers have a reason to "give away" something for little money.

And by the way for your story: it is the law of demand and offer. Used will be much more common than unused, and MNH will be even rarer. There are too many examples in our stamp world.

Show original message
18of 18